WARNING: SWITCH TO "DESKTOP VIEW" IF YOU'RE ON YOUR PHONE FOR MAXIMUM EFFECT

Thursday, 20 February 2025

I Spit on Your Celluloid

 


I SPIT ON YOUR CELLULOID by Heidi Honeycutt (2024 Headpress Publishing / 464 pages)

This history of women-directed horror films is painstakingly exhaustive and the fruit of 20 years of research. Covering films from as far back as 1896, the first two chapters are particularity informative, especially when the author gets into 1950s/60s television.

Doris Wishman and Roberta Finley are looked at in-depth, as are more unknown directors from the 60s- the 90s, many who were hired by the great Roger Corman. Fans of the grindhouse-era of cinema are in for a treat, with lots of surprising statistics and seldom heard facts.

The last three chapters deal with modern/recent films, and we’re left with a positive sense we may see the day where female directors won’t be looked upon, by some, as novelties.

An entertaining and useful read that deserves a place on any film lover’s shelf, I’m sure late directors such as Barbara Loden and Christina Hornisher would’ve championed this work as a major victory.

Grab a copy HERE


No comments:

Post a Comment