COCKFIGHT: A FABLE OF FAILURE by Kier-La Janisse (2025 Fab Press / 296 pages)
For her latest deep dive into cinematic obscurity, Janisse (HOUSE OF PSYCHOTIC WOMEN) not only spent time with director Monte Hellman, but also several years attending a brutal (now illegal) sport in person, bringing COCKFIGHT: A FABLE OF FAILURE to a whole new level of monographic ingenuity.
After an early 2000s viewing, COCKFIGHTER (1974) sunk its spurs into the author and set her on a mission to dissect this controversial and (initially) poorly received film (the director himself is not even a fan). Before I finished reading the first chapter, a look at the 1962 novel by Charles Willeford which the film is based on, I was inspired to get a copy. After scoring a 1974 movie tie-in edition, I went back into COCKFIGHT and was continually amazed at the level of research and exposition on display in each chapter. From personal experiences to the strangest mined-nugget of detail, Janisse leaves nothing unturned in her quest to bring not only the film, but the meaning of the sport itself into understanding.
With a great look at star Warren Oates as well as the women of the film, an interview with the legendary Roger Corman (and others from the cast and crew), details about its release, premiere, and legacy, COCKFIGHT once again displays Janisse’s skill in creating interest (and importance) around a film most may have never heard of. You get the feeling this book doubles as the author’s own sparring match with the reader in getting them to want to watch (or reassess) this now cult-status 70s gem. I know I’ll be revisiting the film as soon as I finish Willeford’s novel.
Fab Press has presented this work in its second edition (the first was a limited run in 2024 from the author’s own press) on high quality glossy paper, full of eye-catching graphics (my only gripe are the footnotes, which are so small I’ll bet those with perfect vision will need to squint). Even if you’ve never seen (or heard of) COCKFIGHTER, this book is must reading for those interested in film commentary of the highest order.
(Available from FAB PRESS now and on Amazon July, 2025)

No comments:
Post a Comment